Monday, January 28, 2013

Identity Crisis

Who am I? I know the right answer. I am a daughter of the King, cherished and loved unconditionally. But do I really believe this?… Or do I tend to believe the lie that Satan feeds me?

performance + others’ opinions = my self worth    

If I’m honest, I fall into the performance trap Robert McGee writes about in his book The Search For Significance

I must meet certain standards to feel good about myself.

I must be disciplined in my spiritual life.

I must keep my house clean and orderly.

I must exercise regularly.

I must know that others like and admire me.

I must be productive.

I must accomplish.

I must serve.

I must…
Don’t you feel exhausted just reading this list?
  • Are they bad things to aim for?   No.
  • Do they please the LORD?   Yes (with the right motivation).
  • Do I have to do all OR ANY of these things in order to have worth and value?   NO!
  • Do I really believe that? …I’m not sure.
Where can I go to find and convince myself of the truth? God’s Word says…
God made him who had no sin [Christ] to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God. ~2 Corinthians 5:21
When he died on the cross, a display of His unconditional love for me, Jesus exchanged my sin and unworthiness for His righteousness and worthiness. Since I trust Him and have accepted His free gift of salvation, when God looks at me He no longer sees my sins and failures: He sees the righteousness of Christ in me! It is understandable why some have trouble accepting this gift. It is so extravagant! It’s unreasonable. Why would He do that? … Have you ever been in love? That’s how much God loves you (times a million :)
But God demonstrates His love for us in this, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. ~Romans 5:8 
And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again.   ~2 Corinthians 5:15.
Out of gratefulness and love for Him, of course I want to please Him by living according to His Word. But what if I fail? Do I lose my salvation? Does my worth diminish?

My salvation is secure for all eternity. In addition, God has given me a secure self-worth totally apart from my ability to perform. I have received Christ’s righteousness and am consequently a woman who is found fully pleasing to God, regardless of my performance.

Wow! What freedom lies in this truth! When I blow it, when I fail, when I drop the ball… I think God must look at me and see this: (my compost bin)

blog on worth - 1

But that is simply not true. Regardless of my performance, regardless of what others may think of me…every time God looks at me He sees something more like this:

blog on worth - 3

or this:

blog on worth - 2

or maybe this:

blog on worth - 5

Do you want to know more about what God thinks of you?  Read Isaiah 43:1-7 and insert your name after each “you” in the text. You will be blown away!
But this is what the LORD says  
He who created you, Jillian. He who formed you, Jillian. 
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you, Jillian; 

I have summoned you by name; you, Jillian, are mine. 
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, Jillian. 
And when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you, Jillian. 
When you walk through the fire, you, Jillian, will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. 
For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior, Jillian. 
I give Egypt for your ransom, Jillian, Cush and Seba in your stead. 
Since you, Jillian, are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, Jillian. 
I will give men in exchange for you, Jillian, and people in exchange for your life. 
Do not be afraid, Jillian, for I am with you. 
I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west…everyone who is called by My Name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made. 
Isaiah 43:1-7
Does it bring you to tears to know the truth about how much God loves you…how precious you are to him? LORD, help me to get over myself and simply receive your love and your salvation and the worth that YOU have freely given me… worth that cannot be earned and cannot be taken away. I love you.

If you still need more affirmation about your worth to God, read on…

1. God uniquely created me. I am eternally valuable. 
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.   ~Psalm 139:13-14
2. God placed me in His family. I am unconditionally accepted.  
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God.  ~1 Peter 2:9
3.  God gifted me to fulfill His purpose. I am uniquely significant.  
For [I] am God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for [me] to do.   ~Ephesians 2:10
4. God delights in me.  
He will take great delight in [me], He will quiet [me] with His love, He will rejoice over [me] with singing.   ~Zephaniah 3:17
If you are convinced for the first time of God’s unconditional love for you and would like to make sure that you are a part of His family, please click here or please contact me, a fellow sister overwhelmed by His extravagant love for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment