Friday, April 19, 2013

“Jillian, Jillian. You are distracted by many things, but only one thing is needed.”


"Ugh. The kids haven’t done their morning chores yet. I still need to finish the dishes from last night and figure out what we’re having for breakfast. How am I going to squeeze my shower in before I go teach preschool? At least I got my workout in this morning, but I really need a shower. Maybe after I get the big kids off to school?..."



Maybe your mornings aren’t exactly like mine, but do you ever find yourself “pulled away” from spending time basking in the LORD’s presence –enjoying relationship with Him- by more “urgent” matters?

Our vacation is quickly coming to an end and I find myself frantically trying to squeeze in some projects I want to accomplish before the students return and things get really busy again.

Of course, things don't usually work out smoothly, so the project I have worked on for two days is STILL not finished. I am irritable. Distracted. Frustrated. Overwhelmed.

Tonight, I hear my Father speaking to me through this passage.
Luke 10:38-42

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[f] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”



"Jillian," my Father gently calls out to me. I don't hear Him because I am distracted, still running around.
"Jillian," He lovingly calls to me again, with obvious compassion in His voice. 

"Huh?" I finally glance in His direction. Now that He somewhat has my attention He continues, "You are worried and upset about many things."

I consider that for a moment... Yes, well, He does have a point.
"Okay, so I am."

"But..." He's about to present a contrast. "But what?" I wonder. "Take a look around, Jesus. Do you see the mess all around me? Do you see how many things are left on my to-do list? Do you see what time it is already?"

"But," He continues, "only ONE thing is needed."
Needed. Essential. Absolutely necessary.

I look around me. "Oh no, there is way more than ONE thing that needs to be done around here!"

"Mary has chosen what is better..."

"No He didn't. He's comparing me to my lazy sister!? And exalting her idleness??"

"And..." He finishes, "It will NOT be taken from her."

"So I can't look down on her or try to make her feel guilty for not being as productive as I am? But I'm serving, LORD. Isn't that what You told me to do? Maybe if she helped out a little more, I'd have some time to just sit at the feet of Jesus' myself."

That is your choice, Jillian. Mary has chosen to sit with me and build relationship with me. You are choosing to run around, striving to accomplish apart from me. It’s good that you want to serve others and keep things orderly, but it is not vital.

“Only ONE thing is absolutely necessary... remaining in me. Because apart from ME, you can do no good thing. All your striving is in vain. Choose Me, daughter. I delight in you. I am dying to spend time with you. I have so much to reveal to you and I want to hear all about what's going on in your heart. Let's take on the world together. I'll give you insight and guide you, one step at a time. We can laugh together along the journey. I will infuse your actions with power and you can marvel at My Glory and encourage others to do the same. 

My will is definitely NOT for you to be anxious and upset. I have given my life so that you may enjoy an abundant life. A life overflowing with joy and love. Peace and security. Hope and contentment. I can give you all this. Just choose me above all else, my sweet daughter. Stop wasting your time and energy. Apart from Me, you can do no good thing. I promise, I will never let you down.”


"Jesus, please help me to make a better choice tomorrow. To choose what is best instead of letting myself be pulled away by the less important distractions in life. Thanks for persevering in Your love for me. I know I don't deserve it, but I certainly am grateful."


No comments:

Post a Comment